Sunday, June 24, 2007

Books...

This is supposed to be some kind of challenge.
Cátia from Ticho suggested that I should try to make a list of some books I would recommend as good reading. My problem is to give you a small list, so the selection is not easy.
I love reading. Readind has always been part of my life. Whenever I finish reading a book I need to start a new one. I let my imagination flow through the pages and words, I travel in time and space. History, fiction, romance...anything is possible. Books have that capacity.
So here are a few books I would recommend:
I 'll start with my latest acquisition, Ilha das Trevas, by José Rodrigo dos Santos and I haven't started it yet but I've read the others from the same author and I loved them.
At the moment I'm reading Rosa Brava by José Manuel Saraiva. This is an historical romance that tells the story of D. Leonor Teles. So far, I'm loving it.
I do believe that José Saramago is a talented writer. I particularly loved Ensaio Sobre a Cegueira although I liked most of his well known books. The first book I read from this author was O Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo. Then I decided to go on discovering his novels.
I must write about Isabel Allende and in this case I recommend all her books. Nevertheless I'll mention a few, Casa dos Espíritos, Paula ( about her daughter that died) , Filha da Fortuna, Retrato a Sépia. I've already written a post about another book Inés de Minha Alma.
Luís Sepúlveda is another Latin Americam writer that tells stories like no other, so please, try to read them all ( they are easy to read, kind of short stories ).
Gabriel Garcia Marquez is also a favourite author. I believe I also have got all his published books. I first read Cem Anos de Solidão a long and difficult book for its complex story and repetition of names. But don't discourage I think you should first read Amor Em Tempo de Cólera. His latest book Memórias das Minhas Putas Tristes is very interesting.
Laura Esquível that is able to write about food , smells, spices and its implications in people's lives. She has some amazing books such as Como Água Para Chocolate.
Ernest Hemingway was a master in writing. Just one because this would never end, The Sun Also Rises ( Fiesta ) that is about bullfighting and it takes place in Spain.
Just two more authors, not contemporary, but very good to read about society in another century.
Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility and Emily Brontë's Jane Eyre.
I must confess that reading is my favourite hobby, when I'm reading I forget everything...
The idea now goes to:
Inácio Lemos ( my husband) from A Rosa;
Armanda Sousa from Escola Revisitada;
Sofia from Sofia's World
Patrícia from More Than Words ( I know you've been invited by Cátia ).

4 Comments:

Blogger Cátia said...

Ofelia,

Obrigada por teres respondido ao meu desafio. Fi-lo a ti porque tinha a certeza que sugeririas optimos livros. E não me enganei...

De José Rodrigo dos Santos, gostava ler "A Formula de Deus" mas sei que também já o leste e que o recomendas... Quanto a Saramago, é um escritor que li por curiosidade e adorei. Comecei com "Ensaio sobre a Cegueira" e seguiram-se outros. Curiosamente "Evangelho Segundo Jesus Cristo" está na lista dos próximos a ler. Infelizmente tive uma má experiencia com Isabel Allende. Comecei a ler "Plano Infinito" mas não me atraiu, e desde aí não experimentei mais nenhum. Já me dizerem muito bem dos livros dela e talvez volte a experimentar até porque também já me falaram muito bem de "Paula". E de Luis Sepúlveda apenas conheço "Diário de um killer sentimental", um livro pequeno mas interessante. Não vou continuar a comentar, porque quando falo de livros até perco a noção. Termino dizendo apenas que o Equador, sugerido anteriormente, está também na minha lista de livros futuros.

Optimos livros que tens aqui, guardarei as sugestões, e podes ter a certeza que as terei em conta. Ando a terminar a minha tese de mestrado e não tenho muito tempo para ler, mas em Agosto virei aqui certamente ver novamente as tuas sugestões para me inspirar...

Obrigada por tudo. Em tempos em que se lê tão pouco é bom ter optimas sugestões de livros
Beijinhos grandes

11:53 pm  
Blogger Patrícia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:35 pm  
Blogger Patrícia said...

Hi teacher,

Thank you for your invitation.
Yes, I've been invited by Cátia, but it's nice to see here your challenge as well ;)
I love reading, but lately I haven't had time to do it.. Now I'm on holidays and I'll read ;)
Soon in my blog.

Sweet kisses

P.S- I'll send you photos of our last dinner, you want, don't you?

1:58 pm  
Blogger Sofia Monteiro said...

Hi!!!

Thanks for your invitation!!!
This challenge seems to be interesting!!!
I'll accept it and post on my blog!!!

KISSES

P.S.: There's a post on my blog that is also for you!!! :)

12:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home